And I’ll reiterate that you’re (and the article) is missing the point.

Using a simple case of customers and orders. With an ORM when you want to show
all orders for all customers with the customer details, you need to join the
customer with the order in every row. This is a huge waste of bandwidth
(although many advanced db drivers won’t ship the redundant customer info over
the network).

So either you use an ORM or you roll your own (using maps and lookups).

And this is just a trivial 2 table join.