On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 11:33 PM Manlio Perillo <manlio.peri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there some overhead due to preemption?

Sure, but measurements show that performance is better with this
approach, especially at scale.

> About EINTR, I suspect that some programs will have problems.
> As an example
> https://github.com/golang/go/issues/22838
>
> The issue was reported for MacOS, but technically every signal, including
> SIGSTOP, can  interrupt a syscall.

Go installs all signal handlers with SA_RESTART set, so most cases
will not see an EINTR error.  And the Go standard library already
checks for EINTR every place that it needs to.  The issue you mention
is not a problem on most systems; apparently on macOS SA_RESTART
doesn't work for SIGTSTP.

That said, as the release notes say, some programs that make direct
system calls are going to see more EINTR errors than they did before.
EINTR was already a possibility; it's just more common now.

Ian