I would caution that reduced performance with ondemand might be a good thing.
If the job is doing lots of IO this means the process has little/less overhead
so less drain on the cpu meaning it takes a while to spin back up.

If both governors show the serious degradation I would be far more concerned.

It can also be attributed to more underlying lock contention -causing
deschedules - which would be a bad thing.