You're not oversimplifying. GC incurs a price, and that's performance. If
you have a program which manages its own memory optimally for its usage
pattern, it will be more efficient than a generic GC that has to handle all
usage patterns. I use Go everywhere I can, since the tradeoff between
programmer work and performance is phenomenal, but where latency or
throughput really matter, it's still a compiled language without generic
garbage collection. I'm sure there are many things that Rust will perform
at better than Go, but that's not a statement about one language being in
any way better than the other, just different.