The over-arching goal is for me to write tests more easily.  Not avoid
writing tests.  I am not arguing against tests.

Though I am being a bit snarky when I see responses that seem merely to say
"Use TTD or something similar and it will solve all your problems!"

I have never experienced that writing tests at the beginning saves time.  I
find it is always faster to not write them in the beginning.  Functionality
typically changes 3 or 4 times before it "settles down" enough that writing
tests makes sense to me.

Warren