Warren,

"The over-arching goal is for me to write tests more easily.  Not avoid
writing tests.  I am not arguing against tests."

Here is a quick fix of your code;

ws.go: https://play.golang.org/p/KgQ0esiY0Xt

Now, use rdr to quickly test countSomeStuff:

ws_test.go: https://play.golang.org/p/10mk88Preot

ws
├── ws.go
└── ws_test.go