Dave,

A key amount of testing here and there is a great thing, but I think that
folks greatly underestimate the amount of time (per your example) and
effort put into increasing test coverage only to have a project shut down!
There often is no "long run"!  Whereas, what I call "real world" testing --
like launching something 10,000 times quickly (50,000 times today!) in the
actual cloud infrastructure have produced far far more benefits to me on a
time/effort basis -- like when I found that I can get a zero return code
and the action did not succeed anyway.  It happens!

I believe there is a principle at play here where something that is
"teachable" appears to be more important than something that isn't
"teachable".  Like statistics. ha ha!

The other thing is that I do not see much difference between what you (and
others) refer to as "internal" versus "external".  When I refactor a bit of
code out then it basically looks the same to me.  And a step in a Step
Function can call other step functions -- so you don't know whether you are
being "internal" or "external" really -- like a fractal.

So I should invent a fractal programming language -- where every function
must be defined within another function -- have people write tests for that!

Best,

Warren