I'd also say that converting between []Foo and []Stringer isn't actually
definable in a type-safe manner:
https://blog.merovius.de/2018/06/03/why-doesnt-go-have-variance-in.html
Slices are writable as well as readable, so if you could convert []Foo to
[]Stringer you'd also have to say what happens when you assign a
*different* Stringer to an element of it - and the only thing that could
happen is a panic.

The memory-layout explanation never rang true to me. After all, we *do*
allow converting between string and []rune, which has the same problem.