On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Robert Engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Why would you need to declare a type being int or string for instance?  It
> seems it would only ever be because of built in operators or you would need
> type casting code to use them - which is what generics tries to avoid.

If all you need to do is ==, then having an int or string (and not
float64) makes sense.

I have this JSON processing library that lets me treat JSON data like
DOM, with object, array and value nodes. The value nodes contain
interface{}, but I know it can only be json.Number, string, and bool
right after decoding. It wouldn've been nice to constrain the types
the JSON doc accepts to these three, so when, say, at some point in
the program someone tries to put an int as value it doesn't accept it.