To add to what Ian mentioned:

Many of the measures outlined in https://golang.org/s/better-linker have
been implemented at this point.  It was a multi-person effort, several
members of the Go compiler/runtime team were involved (Jeremy, Cherry,
Austin, and myself).

The new indexed object file format and the improved deadcode implementation
went into the tree in time to be included in Go 1.15.

The additional changes in Go 1.16 include better streaming of data and
relocations from object file to linker output, a rewrite of the pclntab
code, support for content-addressable symbols, and more complete cleanup of
the old legacy linker data structures (e.g. removal of sym.Symbol).

Some things mentioned in the doc that didn't get implemented include moving
to DWARF 5, and moving DWARF type generation from the linker to the
compiler.

HTH.

Cheers, Than