Yep I did this in the end and it works fine...

var user string
for rows_users.Next() {
        rows_users.Scan(&user)
        if conn, ok := m[user]; ok {
                conn.Write([]byte(string(username + " has entered the
room\n# ")))

I think I will back off the project and go back to the docs as you suggest
rather than ploughing through every problem I come across...as fun as that
can be.