Sorry, I did not intend to open a new thread.

I don't know how to answer you about the actual contents of the directory of interest.  It's my c:\users\rob\Documents directory.

There are a lot of files there.  I'm writing my own version of the dir command, one that will sort and behave exactly as I want. I decided to experiment w/ the new library definitions; and discovered that DirEntry is not a replacement for FileInfo.  I thought that was the intent of the Go team, but I guess did not understand.  In my code I went back to using Lstat, and instead of ioutil.ReadDir, I now use

f, err := os.Open(directoryname)

if err != nil { blah blah blah}

files, err := f.Readdir(0)

if err != nil { blah blah blah}