On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM wilk <w...@flibuste.net> wrote:

> It is still possible to write a formal proposal "canceling generics" if
> someone find now a good reason, right ? (at the time of modules i
> believe it was).

I believe it is. We can always change things in response to new information
- we could, theoretically, even change decisions we made years ago.

However, it should be clear that the bar for what constitutes a "good
reason" becomes higher over time. In particular, after the acceptance of
the proposal, the minimum bar is that it really is new information. Because
if the argument was already known, it was already considered and weighed as
part of the decision.

As far as I can tell, the things mentioned in this thread (and other recent
threads on this list) are not new. New information might be some technical
difficulty in the implementation, or a corner case or fundamental problem
we didn't know before. Evidence for overwhelming resistance to generics
could also be new information. Though I'm not sure where it's supposed to
come from - as mentioned a couple of times, it's hard to get representative
polling information. But this was what ultimately killed the `try` error
handling proposal, so it's not unthinkable.