I am very much pro generics, having used them with Go for many years.

I have only found them to be occasionally useful (10%), but on those
occasions, it saves me time, improves reliability, and enhances the ability
to maintain the code.

Having a background in MASM, TASM, Forth, Lisp, C++ leaves me comfortable
with generics. Having one Java project where I was reading newbie use of
generics was a traumatic experience that still gives me nightmares. So I
totally respect those opposed to the generics.

New programmers do not need to learn about reflection, or generics, or
goroutines to create modest programs that do extraordinary things. But as
they advance by reading legacy code, and learning examples, these are
things that they need to add to their toolbox. It does not matter to me if
generics are added to the language or not as I have generics, but anyone
reading my code must learn my version of generics implemented with
+generate. So having a standardized version is great. And if it is not part
of the language, you will still have to learn it and read and use it. I see
no point at this time to not having a standard generics and have it fully
implemented into the compiler, there is no significant long-term
downside, only an improvement in productivity.

Some members of the Go team have used my version of generics and felt that
it could be much better, and I agree. This change is not based on a whim,
it is based on decades of experience and a decade of preparation.

--

Respectfully submitted,
David Lynn Skinner

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received
this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not
disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
[image: App Green Footer Image] Be like me, be Carbon free - don't print
this and save a tree

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -
Albert Einstein.
&nbsp <https://conf.davsk.net/david> [image: App Video Meeting Image]
<https://conf.davsk.net/david> Meet me on Zoom
<https://conf.davsk.net/david> &nbsp <https://conf.davsk.net/david>