Probably you are overthinking it. Start like this

    go mod init me.nil/project

It doesn't matter whether you want to publish your project or not you must
start with a module and a proper name including a dot and a slash doesn't
harm and avoids several problems. Of course you also could name it
github.com/yourname/yourproject. If you do not want to publish it, it
really doesn't matter.

Add a main.go an make packages to your liking:

    vi main.go
    mkdir foo
    vi foo/foo.go

And so on. There is _no_ need for go mod vendor at all, especially not
if you do not want to publish your project.

V.