On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 6:04:21 PM UTC+2 Jacob Vosmaer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In our organization we have a main code repository that contains
> components written in different programming languages. One of these
> components is written in Go. I would like to be able to have a single
> go.mod file for the whole repository, in the root directory. This doesn't
> work smoothly as of Go 1.16 because we have a /vendor directory in this
> repository, which has nothing to do with our Go code.
>
> Because /vendor exists, commands like 'go build' and 'go test' complain
> about the vendor directory being out of sync. I am aware that there are
> workarounds with command line flags (such as -mod=mod) and that one can
> avoid typing these over and over by setting GOFLAGS.
>
> However, this makes for a poor developer experience because every new
> contributor has to run in this problem locally and then modify their local
> development environment. It would be much more ergonomic if there was a way
> to tell the go toolchain to ignore /vendor based on a file in the
> repository. Because then everybody who clones the repository and tries to
> run 'go test' or 'go build' gets the correct default behavior.
>
> I could have sworn I found an issue about this a while ago but I can't
> find it anymore, and I also don't see this topic in the golang-nuts
> archive.
>
> Is there another workaround I'm overlooking? Should I open an issue for
> this?

One possible solution is to have a GOENV file in the root directory of a
repository.
This similar to git where, by default, the config file is first read from
.git/config, then from ~/.gitconfig and finally from /etc/gitconfig.

The problem is how to handle a write to GOENV; probably the local env file
should be ignored.

Regards
Manlio