But it is not "because we said so". There were actual replies that pointed
to specific issues that, in my opinion, were reason enough. To create a
specific test case that would break (assuming there is not such a test in
the standard library already. Worth checking) it would take some time for
someone to dig what the specific error condition is and then write a sample
program to show you such a case (it might be tricky without mocks as it
might require generating errors from lower layers that are not easy to
replicate in real life). This all takes time and considering you are the
most interested on the output of this discussion, you could simply use the
pointers that were given and check for yourself.