I wouldn't think that UML is unpopular, so much as it's not as helpful as
other languages. UML is especially useful in OOP, which Go is not, at least
not specifically. And I also think UML can tend to push you into certain
paradigms of thinking or design patterns, whereas maybe Go tends to have
more flexibility and more tricks available to it that don't lend themselves
well to a UML diagram.

To be fair, it's probably been 10 years since I touched UML, so my memory
is probably rusty, but I remember being quite into it when designing OOP
systems, as it really helped map out the various entities in the system,
assign responsibilities and define relationships. It was an excellent way
to help design a system that was too big to fit in your head all at one
time. But I think I remember that it was pretty object or class focused.
Though that could have just been the way I used it.