On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:00 AM Kamil Ziemian <kziemian...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read quite a few blog posts, articles, listen to nice number to talks
> about strings, runes and encoding in Go. I now reading Go Language Spec and
> I just stuck in the section about runes. I mean, it isn't hard as itself,
> but it raises to much questions to me. I decided that I need to learn more
> about Unicode and UTF-8, so from today I'm reading Unicode Technical Site
> (?), currently the Glossary (https://www.unicode.org/glossary/). But I
> can't understand one thing: when in practice you should use runes?
>
> My understanding at this moment is like that. Unicode assign every symbol
> a number (at this moment I disregard normalization and any other more
> advance stuff), rune is alias for int32 that stores integer representation
> of this number. UTF-8 is variable size encoding using one or more bytes to
> encode symbol and shouldn't and DOESN'T represent integer value of symbols
> Unicode number. Virtues of UTF-8 are clear as how it allows to save a space
> is clear to me, but I can't find a reason why I should transform my text to
> runes? In Go stdlib there is a RuneReader interface (?) so this reason must
> exists, but I just can't find anything. Maybe it have something to do with
> sending information using internet? I don't know, this is totally outside
> my humble knowledge.

In general, you should work with runes whenever you are working with text
that is entered by humans, or text that will be read by humans.

When you work with a string as a stream of bytes, then you either assume
the string does not contain any bytes over 127, or you have to decode the
UTF-8 string yourself. Working with runes eliminates both problems.