I'm missing something fundamental.
I have set GOROOT to my current directory, which contains my go source files
but I can't test a trivial program

treesort_test.go:11:2: package treesort is not in GOROOT (C:\Program
Files\Go\src\treesort)

It looks like the value of the GOROOT variable is set to a different value
inside go itself, and not to the value that the shell sees.

(the program is treesort from the Kernigan and Donovan book)
// Copyright © 2016 Alan A. A. Donovan & Brian W. Kernighan.
// License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
// See page 101.

Sorry for the long PWD, but I'm trying to keep these trivial programs in
github
and the path seems to be required.

pfarrell@Alien15:~/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd$ echo
$GOROOT
/home/pfarrell/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd

pfarrell@Alien15:~/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd$ go
test treesort_test.go
# command-line-arguments
treesort_test.go:11:2: package treesort is not in GOROOT (C:\Program
Files\Go\src\treesort)
FAIL    command-line-arguments [setup failed]
FAIL
pfarrell@Alien15:~/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd$ echo
$GOROOT
/home/pfarrell/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd

pfarrell@Alien15:~/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd$
printenv GOROOT
/home/pfarrell/whome/sandbox/gows/src/github.com/pfarrell51/cmd

This has to be something trivial that I'm doing wrong
Thanks