Phil Carmody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 2. Use a punctuation variable (like $,) instead of $s, so that
> >    you don't have to use the braces when interpolating.
>
> I tried that with one punctuation variable, but it didn't work,
> it appears that assignment to it refused to accept strings, so I
> plodded on without!

Yes, punctuation variables are essential to golf, but you have
to learn which ones are useful in which circumstances.  Most of
them are magical in various ways.  Some only accept integers,
as you found.  I think the only ones usable for your case are

I was a bit surprised by $., but it appears it can be a string
if you're not reading from a filehandle.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Washington, DC