This is a real world task which can be solved in a couple of lines.
Which makes me think that you guys can do it in about half a line!

The simple version of the task is to verify that each line of a file is the
insertion of one character somewhere (maybe at the start or the end) into the
prior line.

So
<<<
1
12
132
x132

would be accepted, but
<<<
1
12
132
alien132

would not be accepted.

If that's too easy, or too short, the more advanced version of the task is for
each line to print which character has been inserted in which position for each
line.

There's a lot of flexibility on how the verification result is reported to the
user, so you may, within sensible limits, do whatever's best. An error return
value, or printing a Y or N, or 1 or 0, or the line number on which it fails,
or anything like that would be fine. Similarly, whether you start counting at 0
or 1, I don't care, I can cope with both.

This is for a little bit of mathematical research I'm doing (so the lines in
the file will actually just be big numbers), and I will happily credit the
winner when I announce the results of the research. That'll be weeks away, but
I wouldn't want anyone to waste more than a short while on this task.

Phil

()  ASCII ribbon campaign      ()    Hopeless ribbon campaign
/\    against HTML mail        /\  against gratuitous bloodshed

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail