You were unable to upload a small photo on my demo site, or in your
development environment? I just successfully uploaded an image to the
demo site, which you can download from here:

    http://gaevfs.appspot.com/gaevfs/images/

Yes, the images get stored in "blocks" of 1MB or less. GaeVFS
implements a virtual file system, so you refer to the file using URL
links, just as you would for a static file. For example, here's an
image I just uploaded:

    http://gaevfs.appspot.com/gaevfs/images/img4.jpg

The GaeVfsServlet handles both upload and download, and demonstrates
how this is done:

http://code.google.com/p/gaevfs/source/browse/trunk/src/com/newatlanta/appengine/servlet/GaeVfsServlet.java

The GaeVfsServlet also handles setting the content type for the response.

Vince