Hi Diana. As others have stated, App Engine can write to multiple entity
groups in parallel, so if each User entity is a root entity or is otherwise
placed in a different entity group, then there shouldn't be any issues.
Regarding performance, all apps should generally be able to handle up to 30
simultaneous dynamic requests assuming a 75ms processing time for each
(average load), for a throughput of 400 qps or so:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/runtime.html#Quotas_and_Limits

If you want any other performance or cost-related numbers, let me know.

For updates to the same entity or entity group, App Engine uses optimistic
concurrency as opposed to locking. If an entity is already being updated,
then the second request will fail and will automatically get retried on the
server. After consistent failures, an exception will be thrown which you can
catch to either handle gracefully. Datastore writes will fail from time to
time, generally about 0.1 to 0.2 percent of the time, but the failure rate
will be higher when there is contention, i.e. a high rate of simultaneous
writes to the same entity/entity group.

http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/scaling/contention.html

- Jason