Have you seen this?
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/roadmap.html

I understand the operational difficulties you're describing.  Ideally we
would have a way to let early adopters try out the new runtime before we
roll it out to all our servers, thus giving us the opportunity to learn
about incompatibilities before they became widespread.  We've talked about
this quite a bit but we don't have anything coming in the near term.

As for notification of new server-side deployments, the reality is that we
push new code into production all the time.  The vast majority of the time
nobody notices because we didn't break anything and we didn't introduce any
user visible features.  If we sent out notifications every time we did this
I'm pretty sure you would tune these notifications out within a week or
two.  Still, if you're running a real service with real users it makes sense
that you would want to know about periods of "increased risk" ahead of
time.  I'm just not sure how we would identify those for you.

The trick with a new SDK is that we can't release it until we've updated our
servers with new code that is prepared to handle the new SDK, and by that
time, if we've goofed and introduced an incompatibility, your app has
already run into it.  I suppose we could make the SDK available ahead of
time in some form where it can only be run locally, but I can imagine it
being pretty confusing to have an SDK that is only half-functional.  What do
you think?

Max