I'm finding that it's nearly impossible to work with the detaching objects
style.  I can't tell for sure what's happening other than when I add a
PersistenceCapable object to another PersistenceCapable object's collection
(i.e., the first one will be the child of the second one) that I get an error
about trying to persist objects in different entity groups in the same
transaction.

I'm using Spring and subclassing JdoDaoSupport and the transactions are handled
for me; I'm not sure if that's part of the problem.  With JdoDaoSupport I never
need to open or close the persistence manager or start and commit transactions,
although I do have an xml file that does the aop proxy wrapping of my classes.