thanks for your answers:

Pierre, the StreamingQueryResult is not serializable. However, to my
understanding this problem is alleviated when you work with detached
objects since you call something like

Collection c = pm.detachCopyAll(resultList);

at the end and you are then returning the instance c

Rusty, I am creating a wicket-based application from scratch. At the
beginning I included spring for dependency injection, transactions,
and open session in view behavior. However, I got rid of spring since
its behavior in terms of transactions is mosty not required on GAE and
also sometimes not completely clear to me. OSIV is nice, but I trying
to do that by means of wicket only (if required since we don't work
with so many tables as in web application having relational
datastores. without spring I am currently not experiencing big
problems with detached objects.

regards,
andr