I was able to find the problem. I am not sure why this would happen.
In my GWT code, I had a HashMap mapping  a String to a Serializable.
Removing this mapping (changed Serializable to String) fixes the
problem. Not quite sure why this would happen. If anyone can shed some
light, please free feel to do so. Is GWT generating many permutations
as a result of this mapping and somehow AppEngine plugin can upload
that many files?

Thanks,

  Luis Atencio