I think the biggest problem is not knowing approximately how long your
app will be down.
In our case, it took 24 hours
(http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/browse_thread/thread/5dace4efbd0e45bd).
Apparently it doesn't depend on the size of your database. To my
knowledge, the indexes "build system" is centralized some how, so that
would be the reason because it may take too long.
I'd love to have some feeback about google guys on this issue.

Regards,

Esteban