I am a fan of what the guys working on Play Framework are doing, but there
are still some things they need to work out for deployment to work in App
Engine. I'd look into addressing the issues myself if I had a chance:
http://www.playframework.com.

Grails is probably the closest to Ruby on Rails, but we are still working on
Groovy startup time - it's a different face of the same problem we have with
JRuby.

If you're looking at new languages altogether (framework independent), I
really like the Scala programming language. It's not as free form as dynamic
languages like JRuby or Groovy, but you get a lot from type safety without a
lot of the type clunkiness that Java forces upon you.

Then - there's also the Python option for App Engine. Django usually spins
up pretty quick (on the order of 50-200ms, from what I remember).

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> As you're mentioning Groovy and Grails, have you looked at Gaelyk, the
> lightweight Groovy toolkit?
> http://gaelyk.appspot.com/
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 19:41, Trung Pham <tr...@phamcom.com> wrote:
> > Coming from Ruby on Rails background, I have tried to run Rails on
> > Jruby on AppEngine. While it works, but it has ridiculous startup
> > time. Well over 20 seconds to spin up an instance, and sometimes it
> > even hits the 30 seconds limit.
> >
> > Anyway, out of curiosity, what is the equivalent MVC framework in the
> > Java world that works like Rails? Preferable native Java, not
> > something like Grails on Groovy. Is it even possible to have a MVC
> > framework on AppEngine that takes no more than 1 second to spin up?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
> http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Ikai Lan