Entities persisted with Objectify can be serialized in their entirety
(including keys) through GWT-RPC, so I'd be surprised if you had any
trouble using them with Restlet.  I have a number of times rendered
entity objects directly to JSON with JAX-RS, although there's no
reason you couldn't do that with JDO as well as long as you are really
careful about traversing object graphs.

http://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/

It's much lower level than JDO (and much more transparent about what's
actually going on under the covers) but still quite comfortable to
use.  It's also far easier to learn than JDO if you're starting from
scratch.

Jeff