I think Sun didn't have clear ideas on what was possible and what
clients wanted. They didn't separate their business in hardware and
JavaSoft apart and that bad management decision took its toll.

Microsoft is doing the same mistake: Is it a toy maker or a hardware
maker or an operating system maker or a service provider like Google?

I find today GAE is similar to the old Apple II in 1975. It took 5
years for IBM to catch up with the IBM PC, haven't it created a more
powerful system and open sourced its design, we would all be using
Motorola's CPUs...

The main advantage GAE provides now is potentially unlimited
scalability (only limited by hardware). Since hardware is going to get
really cheap in the following decade, with SSDs and multicore CPUs
everywhere, customers will not want to continue managing thousands of
computers by hand, but let cloud companies provide almost free
services like this.

Now Java belongs to Oracle, so I bet Oracle will want to produce some
competng product/service...without ruining the DB market it already
has...