It depends on your app. For small business app, you may check out force.com,
which offers free developer account. I use both GAE and force.com because
I'm excited about connecting google cloud with salesforce cloud. but, GAE's
current state of reliability and performance is a bit concern. Hope GAE
grows up faster.
-aj

AJ Chen, PhD
Chair, Semantic Web SIG, sdforum.org