You may want to look into the JDO fetch groups, "hollow" returns of
objects, makeTransient, and other items having to do with what is
fetched and what remains accessible after the persistence manager is
closed.  The DataNucleus documentation is a pretty good place to look
at that.  I'm somewhat new to this, but had similar troubles and found
my answers there.

Jake