Thanks for the tip.  I am in the same boat in that I do not use JDO
etc. I also do not need GWT stuff.  So I deleted:

datanucleus-appengine-1.0.5.final.jar
datanucleus-core-1.1.5.jar
datanucleus-jpa-1.1.5.jar
geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.1.1.jar
geronimo-jta_1.1_spec-1.1.1.jar
gwt-servlet.jar
jdo2-api-2.3-eb.jar

from my 1.3.1 war\lib  and it keeps running. My 'warm' start (using
MemCache) is around 3200ms. Previously I recall it fluctuated around
4000ms.
Steve