Hi,
As I explained in
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/browse_thread/thread/e1a7cab9b74d087c#

I have the notion of cold/warm/hot.
It calculates and records the service time when the top left-most GEM
is pressed..  Hovering over the gem after it returns will show the
stats.

A cold start only happens after a redeploy.

A warm start seems to add about 5000ms to my 'network' time which is
normally 400ms or so.  My turnaround in the server goes from almost 0
to about 2000ms, mostly doing a single cache-read from MemCache plus
the ensuing de-serialization.

The 5000ms has to be JVM etc start up.  Only the google folks can deal
with that one. Theoretically getting rid of the unneeded .jar files
can only help.

In my hot mode there is no JVM start-up and I am able to service the
request in about 400ms.

Your cold-start (which is my warm start equivalent) of 2867ms is not
including the JVM startup so I suspect at your browser the time is
longer.

Hope this helps.
Steve