Yeah, that blog post was awesome. I started moving to Twig last night.
I understand and appreciate the concerns of others that frameworks are
our friends, and that it's not unreasonable to use them, but at the
same time, CPU and network optimization are even more important, so
long as the barrier to achieve them isn't too high.

 From the few hours I've spent with Twig, it seems easier -  not
harder than JDO for everything I'm doing. If you want to use JPA or
JDO because you're already familiar with them, that's great and all,
but the mapping to BigTable isn't that straight forward, so cramming
the framework on top might not be the answer.

Create a data store tier, wrap all Twig/Objectify logic in there, and
while your app won't be as portable as if you were using JDO, it'll
perform better, use less resources, and not be terribly dificult to
port later on, if you have to.

My $0.02

---
Sent from my iPad