i work with low-level datastore api, so i serialize things myself, but
essentially yes. The issue you're probably running into is that the
thing that you're using to interact with the datastore, does not know
how to store EmbeddedChild. I would start there.

from low-level datastore api point of view, you can only store a list
of String, Blob, Text, Integer.... the storable types. but I think
with the persistance manager you're using, the condition is that it
has to implement Serializable or IsSerializable interface (not sure
which one).