Ah, that's interesting. From what I could tell via appstats during my
requests, in my 1-N relationship the L2 cache was only caching the
individual objects, not the entire collection. So, two accesses of the same
collection in two subsequent requests would require a round trip to the
memcache for each element of the collection. This is what caused my problem
as the latency on the memcache lookups was between 10-30ms for each element,
which gets you to some pretty awful request times even when dealing with
only ~100 total elements.

>From my perspective it seems like a mistake for Google to be using JDO in
all the main Java documentation. It doesn't seem like it will well work for
many reasonable scenarios, although DataNucleus 2.x seems to have a lot of
these issues sorted out.