hi  jbdhl

I wish there was an easy answer too - but I suppose at least we have
choice!

My experience, which I hope will at least help you a bit ....

For back ground .... I am transferring a prototype developed using a
db4o back end, but had little done for the UI.  There are a lot of
relationships in the domain layer, and the design was very much OO not
RDBMS

I started by using JDO thinking it would give me portability.  I got
it to work, but seemed to end up with some messy code.  To be fair,
that in part was due to my lack of real understanding of GAE, but I
didn't really feel I had achieved portability either - there would
still have been changes to make to move elsewhere

I therefore abandoned the idea of portability, accepting that I would
probably have to re-write the Dao layer anyway, if ever I want to
move.  I decided that it would be better to spend more time on getting
that Dao layer isolated and independent - that would give me
reasonable portability without compromising the different strengths of
different persistent platforms.

I tried Twig - it seemed a good solution, and was certainly easy to
set up and use.  I found the documentation is bit sparse on property
translators, but otherwise I had no real problems.  The amount which
Twig takes away from you is one of those classic blessing/curse
situations - it is a blessing not to have to think about some of the
detail, but you lose control.  I felt that once I had understood GAE,
I may be losing some of benefits by not having enough direct control -
for this application.  I would certainly consider Twig again for other
applications.

So I have now migrated to Objectify, which seems fairly
straightforward, and I have the level of control I was looking for -
with a particular eye on performance since I do not yet have any idea
how my application will perform

I'm afraid the Twig-Objectify discussions occasionally get a bit like
a religious argument, which is a shame because they have both done a
great job, but with different approaches - and why not?  They serve
different needs.

You have probably read this already but I found this tremendously
useful to understand GAE, which in turn helped me understand the
choices I was trying to make (the Objectify reference isn't a plug -
it is just a very well written article)

http://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/wiki/Concepts

Good luck - it would be interesting to know what you decide in the
end ...