Hi all,

    I would like to share with you some concerns I have about the way
DataNucleus/DataStore manage identities and their persistence.

All started when I tried to do a simple

   em.persist(entity);

and discovered that the entity key was not populated, but remain
"null" until the transaction is committed or a flush is done. This was
very confusing to me, because I know that, from JPA specs, the persist
change the state of the entity from new to managed, and being managed
means that the entity has a persistent identity, something not true
here.

For that I did some experiments with a simple non GAE project running
a JPA test on H2 Database with Hibernate and DataNucleus. I saw that
Hibernate correctly manage this, giving the identity immediately after
the persist command. DataNucleus instead wait for the flush of the
session.

In my opinion this is a bug in DataNucleus that also affect our GAE
code, so I would like to file them a bug, what do you think ??