Just to put my 2 cents...
Even in JDO same thing happening. I got frustrated first but then i
just accepted it/ignored it(5-6 months back)...that may be they wont
fix it or they are not able to do it on GAE... But yes you are right
frameworks like Hibernate does provide key as soon as you call the
persist/save method and doesn't wait for commit call.

And i hope datanucleus(id) is not the official representative of Data
Nucleus framework/company, and if that is the case then it is sad that
such harsh reply are coming from official representative. I have never
seen such reply from google guys, we ask so basic/absurd/stupid/naive
questions all the time and they always reply politely and definitely
don't end the discussion with END.

Ravi.