Hi:

    You can define the dao interfaces and write the implementation of
the interfaces with datastore low level api or some fast startup
framework other than JDO or JPA. If you need to migrate to other
platform which supports standard RDBMS, you implement the dao
interface with JDO, JPA or JDBC.

    The entity relationship model design in appengine is very
different from other RDBMS. You can not use more than two inequality
filters or the 'OR' operator in your query. So the design which works
great with appengine is probably not good with RDBMS and vice versa. I
think even the model redesign is necessary when you leave appengine.
Unless you don't choose to use appengine, use JDO(JPA) save you
nothing.