I searched through multiple discussions here. Can someone just give me
a quick and direct answer?

And if with JPA you can't do a batch update, what if I don't use
transaction, and just use the following flow:

em = emf.getEntityManager
// do some query
// make some data modification
em.persist(..)
// do some query
// make some data modification
em.persist(..)
// do some query
// make some data modification
em.persist(..)
em.close()

How does this compare to batch update with regard to performance, and
compare to a single transaction commit, measured by RPC calls to
datastore server, CPU cycles per request, or so. Does every call to
em.persist(..) before em.close() trigger a RPC call to the datastore
server?

Thanks very much for any response!