I guess they mean that tracker is used only to collect issues from
users, without being used to schedule and track internal work on
issues collected. This is fairly understandable since any public issue
tracker is exposed to a small amount of what can be minor issues
compared to major issues that can regard entire GAE infrastructure,
resulting in being a bit noisy for main work scheduling.

I think filing issues is useful and can lead to major improvements in
the platform. Starring issues or watching them is more or less
useless, since updates won't be announced in that tracker but in blog,
groups, etc.

Regards
Lorenzo