I believe you want the following flag:

--jvm_flag=-Xmx512m

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Mike Dillon <mikedillo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Im working on a project that reads GTFS archives as part of its
> functionality. When we are importing
> a particular set of data that has ~60,000 entries my dev server locks
> up around the 27,000 entry. The
> error is the java heap space error. I would like to know if anyone has
> successfully upped their heap
> space. I searched, and found general instructions but after
> implementing them I'm still failing around
> the same entry. This is leading me to believe that my command line
> args are not taking affect. Here
> is what I have so far:
>
> appengine-sdk-java/bin/dev_appserver.sh:
> #!/bin/bash
> # Launches the development AppServer
> [ -z "${DEBUG}" ] || set -x  # trace if $DEBUG env. var. is non-zero
> SDK_BIN=`dirname $0 | sed -e "s#^\\([^/]\\)#${PWD}/\\1#"` # sed makes
> absolute
> SDK_LIB=$SDK_BIN/../lib
> SDK_CONFIG=$SDK_BIN/../config/sdk
> java -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -ea -cp  "$SDK_LIB/appengine-tools-api.jar" \
>  com.google.appengine.tools.KickStart \
>  com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain $*
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Also the way we get our data is through a custom import function that
> chunks the data into groups of 20
> and then processes them and stores them into the datastore.  We are
> only using one instance of the
> persistance manager as per the recommendations to use a singleton
> class. Each batch hits a servlet on
> our app and then does its work. Should we close the persistence
> manager after every batch is completed?
> I'm wondering if this would be a memory leak.

I believe our documentation recommends storing the PersistenceManagerFactory
as a singleton, but using a new PersistenceManager each time (remembering to
close it before discarding).

However, the local implementation of the datastore does keep everything in
memory (and simply flushes to disk periodically), so you will run into size
issues at some point.