If you mean sending a request from gthe client, that simply won't
work.
During particular days I've seen cold starts logged as near as 10
seconds between each other for the same user.
Polling with a shorter period will simply destroy your client as well.

The best thing for these issues is to move on client side most of the
computation which can be done locally and use GAE for heavier
background things and persistence.

This is a known issue for low traffic sites (meaning inactive for a
long period).
Things seem to be better if you have a low but quite constant traffic,
but this could be a matter of luck.
Of course, latency is particularly high if datastore issues are going
on, and I hope it will be solved with the new architecture.

Regards
Lorenzo