The patch seems to be incompatible with IText license, as you can read
in comments at

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2810312&group_id=15255&atid=365255

PDFJet has both a free limited version and a paid one, which adds
functions like tables formatting and pagination.
I used the free version succesfully for simple tasks. It lacks
complexity (like handling layout) but you can use the basic API to
build such advanced features.

Looks like IText can work on GAE also without the patch if you limit
the functionalities you use.
Such limitations make IText very similar to PDFJet with respect to API
flexibility and level of abstraction, since advanced Itext features
are the ones using AWT, so I decided to go directly with PDFJet for my
project.

Regards
Lorenzo