Hi all,

Some of you may consider this off-topic (apologies to those that think
it is OT), but I think it's pertinent to generate this discussion:
given Oracle's lawsuit against Google < http://bit.ly/bMEL6A >, is
Java a viable programming language anymore? I think the threat of
Oracle adversely affecting the Java community has just become more
real.

Motivation: I am at the early stages of implementing a web app on GAE
using Java, but if I need to switch to Python, I shouldn't delay it
any more.

I understand that Java SE and EE are licensed differently from Java
ME, nonetheless...

Oracle's doesn't enjoy a very good reputation in the open source
world, and I don't trust them, though up to this point it was just an
intrinsic mistrust, without any firm reason behind it.

Java development as a language has also been held up/very slow over
the past few years. Oracle's stewardship only makes things more iffy
(are those the correct spellings :-)?).

What I like about Java SE: the fantastic tutorial (even today it can
sometimes come in handy), javadoc, simplicity, no useless syntactic
sugar (unlike everything designed by Microsoft).

On the other hand, Java EE... is a morass...

Anyway, what do you guys think?