Thanks for sharing your thoughts Shawn. IANAL either :-).

I am worried about not just Java on GAE (though that's the more
immediate concern), but also about Java's future in general. Don't
want to be stuck with a proprietary language that has bad stewardship
and a belligerent, short-sighted, greedy corporate owner.

Also, Java on GAE seems to be a secondary citizen to Python :-)...
that makes me question even more whether I should be learning
Python ;-).